Larry Mahnken and SG's

Replacement Level Yankees Weblog

"Hey, it's free!"

The Replacement Level Yankees Weblog has moved!  Our new home is:

Larry Mahnken
Sean McNally
Fabian McNally
John Brattain

This is an awesome FREE site, where you can win money and gift certificates with no skill involved! If you're bored, I HIGHLY recommend checking it out!


Disclaimer: If you think this is the official website of the New York Yankees, you're an idiot. Go away.

February 6, 2007

MSG: Posada focused on season, not extension
by SG

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Jorge Posada is focused on the season as he heads into the final year of his contract with the New York Yankees.

Posada will make $12 million in 2007, the final season of a deal paying him $59 million over six years. The 35-year-old catcher says he's leaving his contract situation up to his agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, and Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.

"Obviously I have one more year left, and a lot can happen," Posada said Monday after a pre-spring training workout. "We'll see. It's up to them. That will take care of itself. I'm concentrating on what I have to do."

I'm going to look at Posada in more depth when I start my 2007 player previews. He's been a big part of the Yankees' success over the last decade, and he will not be easy to replace. At this point, I think I'd extend him for a year or two if I were the Yankees, as there's very little available in free agency and any catching prospects on the farm are a few years away. He's at a scary age for a catcher, but he rebounded nicely from a down 2005 to have a solid 2006. I'd like to think the wear and tear he avoided in his early 20s will let him last a little longer, but who knows?