Larry Mahnken and SG's

Replacement Level Yankees Weblog

"Hey, it's free!"


The Replacement Level Yankees Weblog has moved!  Our new home is:
http://www.replacementlevel.com

Featuring:
Larry Mahnken
SG
sjohnny
TVerik
Sean McNally
Fabian McNally
John Brattain


This is an awesome FREE site, where you can win money and gift certificates with no skill involved! If you're bored, I HIGHLY recommend checking it out!



Web
yankeefan.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: If you think this is the official website of the New York Yankees, you're an idiot. Go away.


October 17, 2005


Mel's replacement?
by SG

From the linked article above in the Washington Post:


...

Baltimore, according to one team source, has in interest in Atlanta Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone, a close friend of Perlozzo, but does not want to proceed until Miller's status is determined. The Orioles may face stiff competition for Mazzone. According to a source, the New York Yankees have asked for permission to speak to the pitching coach. The Braves, according to the source, have granted a small window for the Yankees and Mazzone to speak. If the Orioles have serious interest in Mazzone, they may have to force a decision from Miller. Perlozzo said he planned to visit Miller this week.


More than any player, Mazzone could have a huge impact on this team over the short and long-terms.

I would love to see the Yankees throw whatever it would take at him to sign him, but the Yankees have to be cognizant of the salary structure for management and coaching and can't risk throwing that out of balance by paying their pitching coach more than their GM or manager.

An interesting question was posed to me. As many of you know, I'm not a huge Joe Torre fan. However, it is very likely that Mazzone would not come unless Torre stayed. So, would keeping Torre be worth Mazzone?

I think it would be.

Update
One of our blog readers had a question that I was not able to answer. If anyone knows the answer, please post it in the comments section.

I'm writing a memoir-ish type article on the Yanks, and was remembering the first time I went to the Stadium in 2000. At that time, I feel like one of the first things I saw was Babe Ruth's #3 jersey hanging on the left-field wall. Now, I don't seem to remember it being there in recent years, although I may have just not been paying close attention. But did it, by chance, used to hang there, say in the Summer of 2000? Or is my memory playing tricks on me, and what I really saw were all the retired numbers that are out there?