Larry Mahnken and SG's

Replacement Level Yankees Weblog

"Hey, it's free!"


The Replacement Level Yankees Weblog has moved!  Our new home is:
http://www.replacementlevel.com

Featuring:
Larry Mahnken
SG
sjohnny
TVerik
Sean McNally
Fabian McNally
John Brattain


This is an awesome FREE site, where you can win money and gift certificates with no skill involved! If you're bored, I HIGHLY recommend checking it out!



Web
yankeefan.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: If you think this is the official website of the New York Yankees, you're an idiot. Go away.


December 16, 2004


Amateur Hour
by Larry Mahnken

The Hardball Times and I were dissed by MLB.com writer Spencer Fordin a couple of days ago, in particular for my Productive Outs article. Fordin seems to dismiss my article because of where it was published and who wrote it, not for its content. Whatever.

One point that he makes that does ring true was that my comment at the end of the article: "Buster Olney either knows he's wrong, and doesn't have the guts to admit it, or he's a fool." was amateur and unecessary. He's absolutely right.

I shouldn't have written that, and I wince every time I go back and read it. I was looking for a tidy ending to the article, and wrote that. I suppose an editor normally would have caught it and lifted it out, but Aaron and the other editors generally don't edit our content, just typos and formatting, etc.

If Buster is perchance reading this (fat chance), I'd like to apologize. Your theory about Productive Outs was wrong, but I was wrong to insult you.